Saturday, July 16, 2011

The scariest day of my life.

Please read this story to know that no matter how close you are or how vigilant you are, accidents still happen.

On Friday, July 15, Ryker nearly drown in a community swimming pool.

I was swimming with my 4 kids at a community swimming pool with a good friend of mine just having a wonderful afternoon when it all took a turn for the worse. Ryker (who was out of the pool) and I (who was in the pool) had just been tossing some water wings back and forth when he decided to go sit on the stairs with his sister. He had on a float ring which he passed on to his older brother knowing that he was going to be on the stairs. I was driving Natalie around in the deep end in her floatie when Seth yelled to me, "Mom, look Ryker can float."
As I turned around and saw Ryker face down in the water Seth immediately yelled that something was wrong. I quickly swam over to Ryker (he was about 10-12 feet away) and pulled him out of the water. His lips were blue, his skin gray, and his eyes non-responsive.

I quickly gave him 4 breaths and started to scream for help. My good friend called 911 as I checked for a pulse and found he did not have one. I started chest compressions and breathing to try and revive my little 5 year old boy. Seth was very helpful and even offered to do the chest compressions for me (even though he had no idea what I was doing). A young woman who was also at the pool came to the rescue of my little girls and watched over them while this all transpired. Several other people then arrived and were also calling 911 and doing the best they could to help with the situation.

I continued CPR while my friend was on the phone with 911 dispatch. Ryker threw up after a couple minutes but was still not revived. After 3 minutes of CPR I felt his heart start back up right underneath my palms and it felt like a hammer pounding inside his chest. At this point I just continued to breathe for him. After 5 minutes he started to attempt his own breaths with a quick suck in and an exhale gurgle. According to the dispatch, this was a good sign. Seth let us know that the ambulance was approaching because he could hear the sirens. My friend also hit her head really good during this process though she does not remember. The proof showed itself via a goose egg on her head.

After 6 minutes (according to the 911 call) West Valley Fire Department paramedics arrived at the scene. They loaded him into the ambulance and resumed the rescue work. They got information from me and then headed to Primary Children's hospital. I was to follow behind in my car with my 3 other children.

I know I was wild eyed, frantic, and panicking. One of the firemen grabbed me by my face and looked me straight in the eyes and explained that I was to head to the hospital in an orderly fashion and not to drive crazy because Ryker was in the good care of the paramedics. He was talking very slowly so as to calm me down.

My friend helped me load my kids and swimming stuff in the car and off we went. At this point I called Joe. Didn't get an answer. Dropped my friend of at her house with a reassurance that I would call her with updates.
I call Joe. Didn't get an answer. Now I am yelling, "Answer your fucking phone!" Yes, in the presence of my children.
I text Joe - 911. I am on my way to get you.
His response - k
...He missed the 911 part of the text.

I call him again and he answers this time. I tell him that Ryker has drown in the pool and is on his way to the hospital and I'm coming to pick him up. Joe starts to panic at this point and starts getting a panic attack. (I now realize that I should have said "nearly drown" because Joe thought he was dead at my initial phone call.)
I'm driving as fast as I can but, as you can imagine, the stoplights are taking forever and everyone is driving slow in front of me.
I pick up Joe and have realized that I am in a bit of shock. My body is tingly and I have a hard time telling him what happened or even forming complete sentences. I was just focused on getting to the hospital in a safe manner. I really don't remember what all was said during the car ride. I just could not believe what was happening.

We arrive at the hospital a little after 1:00 in the afternoon where Ryker is stable and recognizes us. "Thank God" just keeps running over and over in my head. I was so glad to see his face, rosy from the warmth of the warming blankets and i.v. solution. His eyes still sleepy looking but not vacant. He is on high flow oxygen and breathing it in as he should. But, we are assured that he is still not out of the water (no pun intended).

His lungs were full of water and also vomit. His body temp still low. His belly full of air. And his breathing very labored and rough. He also continues to cough and cough and is plagued with nausea.

The e.r. team updates us on what transpired in the ambulance and his current status. They say he will be o.k. but will be in the hospital for at least 24 hours. It will all depend on his recovery progress. We are joined in the e.r. by Uncle Steve, Aunt Tahna, Uncle Brett, and Grandma Utahna.
Grandma Utahna takes the other kids home to watch them for the night and leaves us to give all of our attention to our sick little guy.

Ryker is given medicine for the nausea and moved into the PICU. We arrive in the ICU at about 5:15 in the afternoon. He sleeps for a while and Uncle Brett gives him a blessing. Shortly afterwards Ryker wakes up and gives us his account of what happened...

"I went to use Seth's kick board but it didn't work. I went under the water and came back up and then went under again. I drank a lot of water."

He later also said he was yelling "MOM" under the water but I just couldn't hear him. This statement made me sick to my stomach. I was just right there and didn't see him go under and didn't hear him.
I told him that Seth saved his life by noticing that he was under water and Ryker replied, "but you pulled me out of the pool."
Brett, Joe and I exchange looks....he was most likely watching from somewhere else because my child was dead when I pulled him out of the water. That must have been the exact moment where God intervened.


Now, here is the pre-story.
I was aware of Seth's kick board not working. When we first arrived at the pool I opened the kick boards I had just purchased for Seth and Ryker. Seth took his and stepped into the shallow end of the pool and was going to practice what he had learned in swimming lessons that morning. As he went to float on it, the board didn't float. He told me that it didn't work and I just thought that he didn't know how to use it. When I got into the pool my friend and I took the kick boards and determined that Seth's board did not work. Ryker's was fine but Seth's was like a bag of rice when it was lifted out of the water and didn't keep you afloat. Knowing this, I threw the kick board over by our towels and stuff at the side of the pool. Ryker was not informed that the board didn't work and when he went to sit on the stairs with Kamryn he grabbed the kick board to practice with it in the shallow end. When he stepped of the bottom stair hugging the board he expected it to keep him afloat and it did not. He then slipped under the water....

After a terrifying night in the hospital Ryker improved dramatically. He slept well and woke up in the morning looking much better. He was taken of his oxygen around 11 am and was eating clear liquids and jello by lunchtime. After getting the liquids in him he perked right up. We were drawing and playing games and having a good time. The doctors took another xray which still showed fluid in the lungs but no signs of infection.
Due to his speedy recovery they discharged him at 5:30 p.m. and sent us home. They informed us to watch for any labored breathing and/or fever but he should just continue to get better.
I could never be more grateful for my son than on this day.

Special thanks to Alicia Dye, West Valley City Fire Department, the E.R. and PICU staff at Primary Children's Hospital, the many youth groups who have donated fleece blankets and underwear to the hospital, Uncle Brett, and Grandma Utahna.

Just remember, it only takes a few seconds....



4 comments:

  1. LeAnn, I don't know how you did what you did and how you drove! You are amazing! Your kids are lucky to have you as a mom! I love you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LeAnn, I started praying for you all as soon as we heard about this. We are so relieved that it has turned out well. Thank you for writing the story so we can understand what happened. We continue to pray that everything will be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I could not stop reading this. I am so greatful it all worked our. I can not imagine what u went thru let alone being in your position. I have a 4 year old a s a 2 1/2 yr old and they r so "grown up" u forget that it really does just take a second !! Thanks for sharing your story.....and I truly am happy Ryker is recovering at such an amazing speed! God bless u an your family <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. your story is amazing. Your neighbor Mandy texted me when Ryker was in the hospital to pray. I'm so glad he's ok.

    ReplyDelete